The World Economic Forum published some great insight into the impact and use for digital industries.
These documents can give some strategic background on the importance of factory digitalisation.
Key learnings are:
- digitalisation for factories delivers business benefits
- many technologies exist, are mature and available, but many new developments are still taking place, more information technology developments are impacting the traditional operational technologies
- the impact of digitalisation is significant for the factory, for the economy and the society and is a driver for the future, going far beyond the traditional automation
- companies sticking to non-digital are being left out of new business opportunities, strategic partnerships and will find it harder to support their customers over time
- digital is entering in all factory domains, from the production floor to the HR-department, from the control room to customer support, from R&D to logistics.